Sunday, April 12, 2009

The best anisette I ever had...

... I had last night before beddy bye, just a wee dram, and it was made by me from this simple recipe in Dona & Mel Meilach's Homemade Liquors, page 83:
  • 2/3 tbsp anise seed
  • 1/2 tsp fennel seed
  • 1/2 tsp coriander seed
  • 1.5 cup vodka
Mortar the seeds, and put into the vodka for 1 week, shaking daily. Then strain and add
  • 1/2 cup simple syrup
I strained it a number of times before I was happy (cheesecloth). I also turned it a few times a day for a few days until I was really happy with the integration of the syrup and the infusion, but I probably could have instead just shook it real hard when I added the syrup.

Way less cloying than most. (My syrup was 2 parts sugar to 1 part water.) Spicy! Yummy! Finished product about 30% alcohol.

No comments: