Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Yet her article is a farrago

I have loved the word farrago since 1976 or so. Can't get enough of it. You just don't see or hear it around all that often.

Julian Sanchez uses it in an article, Perils of pop philosophy, the first section of which I understand almost none of. He even explains why I don't understand it:
Someone reading about an important finding in biology or physics understands full well that what they’re getting is the upshot of a complicated process of math-laden theorizing and experiment someone else has done. Summarizing a philosophical argument, by contrast, basically looks like doing philosophy.
Right on. And the rest of the article is a pretty good description of the cloud I live under that keeps me from posting anything that makes believe it's factual, other than what I had for dinner, where, and what I drank that made me pooku-pooki.

via /.

2 comments:

theuncle said...

"Farrago" rang in my warehouse memory, and just as the din paled away, I remembered the Farrago Vendetta - chronicled in a classic bit of humor in a very old Playboy: "Farrago Vendetta Sports/Racer, 1958 - Italy." I found my scan-with-caption of that comedy image. It is a thinly disguised parody of the Enzo of that era - the Enzo who eschewed disk brakes and lost Le Mans. So, does 'farrago' mean something like 'romantic enthusiasm above engineering' or maybe just 'botched effort?' Great word, though. If you Google it you get: http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.html?in_article_id=110841&in_page_id=2&expand=true

Steve Lewis said...

Aha! Just read G.O.T.'s email from Atlanta, and I see theUncle. Good to check up on us, though I think K.O. could take us with one hand tied behind her back.

Latin for mixed cattle fodder. (No kidding.) Check out the second pronunciation of it at http://www.thefreedictionary.com/farrago.