Monday, April 28, 2008

Unhappy Hookers - FDNY

* Andrea Peyser column in the NY Post, Unhappy Hookers, re the FDNY decision to ban the Red Hook firehouse's motto and icon (Happy Hookers). I must have a photo of it somewhere...
Dee buried a coffin containing little more than her son's "Hookers" patch and uniform.
"My son will always be a Happy Hooker," she said.
It really did always give me a smile to see the Happy Hookers ladder truck go blowing by. I mean, it gave me an intense joy of place. Posted in the deadzone under the BQE at the crease of Red Hook & Gowanus & Carroll Gardens on Hamilton - is there really a reason in the world to mess with these guys' morale?

Coincidentally, just last week we saw a couple of guys from that firehouse walking around in T-shirt's they'd made up, which had the nickname worked into a rip-off of the Harley logo.

No comments: