Monday, February 16, 2009

Amaro me, Dr. Memory (crosspost)

(The partners in our little 11th Street winemaking group have a private blog - and I'm cross posting this little ditty from there.)


Started on the Amaro recipe at about.com. The hard to get herbs all came from Aphrodisia, and the grain alcohol and vermouth from Slope Cellars. Since the recipe is silent on amounts for the roots, I used 5 grams of each, and where I had dried herbs rather than fresh, I used a teaspoon. And where I had leaves instead of root, I winged it. So:
  • Lemon balm 1 tsp
  • 5 leaves fresh sage
  • 10 leaves fresh rosemary
  • Centaury plant 1 tsp. dried
  • 15 juniper berries
  • 5 cloves, check
  • 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
  • Orris root 5g.
  • Calmus root 5g.
  • Gentian root 5 g.
  • Blessed thistle I have is dried leaves, not root, and I am using 2 tsp
  • Milk thistle 1 tsp dried
Step 1 is complete. Sugar is dissolving in vermouth, herbs are steeping in grain alcohol. More work a couple of times in the next week or two, then 8 months of waiting.

No comments: