Sunday, January 24, 2010

Dear diary, let's lay it on the line about me and Dante

Uh, Clem.

Having worked with Dante Oblimov now for just about ever, I really do look at him and think, Gee, as I'm getting older I'm coming to look more and more like Dante.

Truth is, Dante hasn't had much of a life since editthispage.com folded and took the entire archive of Cabinet with it, and then weblogger.com sunk in on itself and took the environy archive with it.  No more Charlie Rose interviewing D.O., no more D.O. clothing lines, no more D.O. freeing the mermaid slaves.  Like so many heroes, Dante Oblimov is now just pretty much an image.  Or maybe D.O. is out there doing all the things he used to do, but he and I just aren't in touch the way we used to be.

In any case, reading Jaron Lanier's book is continuing to make me be just a wee bit more questioning about what I am participating in here - with or without Dante -  and just how detached or glib I might be being, and whether I ought to participate in rehashing other people's things or just scaling back to concentrate on my own things.  And can I accept just doing my own things and not posting about them?  So I'm futzing around on a couple of sites away from view, one that's only pictures, and it struck me there: How would it change my approach to MNIDOAILY if my own face was on it?

1 comment:

juju pongo said...

me likes your hat, btw...