Friday, May 7, 2010

Chips, chips, happy feet

Yes, I did start Love and Sleep, but I'm also taking a simultaneous detour through John and Matt Thorne's Outlaw Cook, which has been on our shelf for years but never read.  Seeing this post by Thorne at Bittman - Eating with my mother - made me remember and want to read the book.  My idol's idol.

Anyway, Thornesque, last night I set out to make Lori's favorite chicken dish for her to have late when she flew back home (chicken a la Lori, we call it.  or, sometimes, chicken with scallion ginger sauce, rice and edamame) and along the way (here's the Thornesque part) I cleared the fridge of some past-their-prime shiitake, ramps and scallions.  These three I did up in too much olive oil at too high a heat and them salted the heck out of them (chips!  chips!) and wolfed them down hot standing next to the stove.  Ahhhh.  Happy feet.

Re Thorne's name: I've always misremembered it as Thane, which always makes me remember our old friend, Jane Thane of Ohio.  Or Jane, Thane of Ohio, which she secretly was, who's collected works on Amazons is no longer available.

Re Paolo Conte's Happy Feet.

No comments: