Sunday, October 19, 2008

Socks

Seems I never mention the neighborhood oldsters & characters in my posts any more. As a number of them have passed it felt to me a little in bad taste to be talking about them without their knowing. Or maybe I just got lazy.

Anyway, Socks I've never mentioned. He's been in the hood longer than we have, and you'll often see him shambling down the avenues and streets, a little slack-jawed, in and out of storefronts, offering up packages of cotton crew socks, white and black, always seeming a little shocked that you don't want to buy any. But this afternoon I was taking an espresso break in Colson's when Socks came in, offering his wares to both sides of the counter, and I do believe I witnessed a transaction involving Socks, one hipster counter guy, one pack of black crew (or maybe tube?), and four beautiful fresh baked croissant. Everybody happy.

No comments: