Sunday, January 18, 2009

Jalopy, BKLYN, stage center

And on stage last night at Jalopy was your hero and mine, Pete Stampfel with his Ether Frolic Mob. I'm guessing that last link <= is subject to rot, so let me say the mob included John Cohen this time, and I'll quote from the blurb:
What is Ether Frolic?? Ether Frolic is when ether came into use in the 19th century, it was widely introduced by Ether Frolics--a stage would be rented, the audience would be charged, the ’show’ involved people inhaling ether on stage and carrying on in a manner not common to 19th century behavioral norms. Audience participation was encouraged. Sort of an old-timey Acid Test. I also chose Ether Frolic in an ironic sense, because I was given what I later found out was an overdose of ether for a tonsillectomy in Minnesota in 1945. This remains the single most painful and terrifying experience of my life. I knew beforehand that something truly awful was going to happen, but tried to be brave. My last words before they clamped the rubber ether mask on my 6 year old face was… This is the life.
Bound to lose.

No comments: