Saturday, January 10, 2009

Long ago and far away, comfort books and small keyboards

On the road again for a short trip, couldn't find anything new I wanted to download, so I decided to download three old favorites and find out if they still are favorites: Twain's Puddinhead Wilson. Norris' McTeague. Hawthorne's Blithedale Romance. Wilson I think I'd only read once, but remember some of it well - but it's what I started first on this trip and I'm amazed how much of it I don't remember at all. The other two I've read a couple of times, but McTeague not at all since the 70's and Blithedale not for 20 years.

Am posting this from a BB with a tiny keyboard and can't quote pages - but need to say that I've just read the section where Tom Driscoll (the fake) get's kicked in the butt so hard he vaults out over the drunken rowdy crowd and they pass him overhead from front row to back until the place catches fire. 1896. Sex and drugs and rock and roll. And race and gambling.


Sent via BlackBerry thingy and edited later.

No comments: