Sunday, December 20, 2009

Diary most dear, 091220, parking, snow, bread

When we stowed Minki in just uphill from the hydrant outside Toto late Friday night and felt all smug about the fine squeezy little spot, the storm was not top of mind.  Little was top of mind.  Fumes were top of mind, vague and lacy, dragging over to moors... hoowwwwwll!.  And at the crack of Saturday dawn, what with the storm now seeming like it really was going to happen here, and already happening in Baltimore where we were supposed to be mid-day, and us knowing we had to be back in Nueva York on Sunday (today), we made the prudent and adult decision to stay put.  And I, Minki's handler, everlasting shame upon my head, never gave another thought to that spot until an hour ago.  Stephen King would have tuned this into The Shining. 

Now that the storm's been here, and I've shoveled out the house and shoveled a path in front of L's (formerly B's), I walked down to Minki's Snugspot.  Uh oh.  Snugspot is on the north side of an westward one-way.  Do you feel my pain?  Do you know that BKLYN plows hang right?  So our parking pride now looks like dig-out hell.  Wall-o-snow to the driver's door and a couple feet high of virgin drift stretched for 20 feet  afore the front bumper.  I put the shovel on my shoulder & walked home, all drag-assed in the mind.

Diary, did I mention that newbie-baker (moi) baked a loaf olive & walnut bread last night?  Shaped as a ciabatta.  Deeeelicious.  Maybe a little too much salt on the surface, but yummalumma.  Crust not nearly as hard as my prior ciabatta (my first) ciabatta but I'm guessing a lot has to do with all the extra moisture from the olives.  This is maybe the 4th loaf of bread I've made in 2 weeks.  I gave one (chocolate cherry - so so) and a half (twisty egg-washed white - pretty good) away.  I can neither figure out what to do with all the bread I want to make nor figure out a time to make it so that I'm not needing to start at real-baker's hours in the AM, or finishing at bed time.  It's a hard life.  Quitting work would make it easier.  Gonna have some bread and coffee right now and think it over.

No comments: