Saturday, May 3, 2008

Alexandre Dumas' face

Eco is killing me, as I continue to read the books he's speaking about in his Six Walks. But it's great fun. A semester's schooling for the cost of some paperbacks and downloads.   And without the school, which is a giant plus for me.  So now I've jumped into Dumas' The Three Musketeers.

The copy of the Musketeers I picked up is the Penguin edition, translated by Richard Pevear and with cartoons on the cover by Tom Gauld. Gauld's has a caricature of Dumas on the back cover, from a photo of Dumas the taking of which Gauld draws & writes about on the back inside flap of the book. I looked at that drawing and I realized, I saw a print of this photo two weeks ago! It was at the AIPAD show. And I remember that when I saw the photo at the show I said to myself, That is one funny looking dude!

No comments: