Thursday, May 1, 2008

Hair

A friend invited me last evening to a cooking demonstration at De Gustibus by Fabio Trabocchi of Fiama. (This is the rich pig version of me that demographically loves BAMBAM, though clearly my roots are in the Old John / Slash Clinton soil). It was great. Fabio, Fabio, Fabio... Seriously, it was a really nice experience and something I'd like to do again. But that's not what I'm posting about.

We were a party of five, and two of the guys I haven't seen in a dogs age. One a little younger than me, one a little older, but all of us what Juju Pongo used to call silverbacks.

I noticed right away that both of them had hair longer than I ever remember their hair being before. Me, on the other hand, my hair used to be a joke amongst my co-workers (mad scientist - that sort of thing) but for years I've been cutting it short: I really don't like having to comb or brush it. Or dry it. Or think about it much. I do really love hair (here, Baby, there Mama, everywhere Daddy Daddy), but it's become something I admire on others and would rather keep out of the house.

Anyway, one of the guys says: What happened to your hair?
And I just didn't know what to say.


2 comments:

mel said...

You do know that the 40th anniversary of the opening of "Hair" on Broadway was just a few days ago -- or is your hair related post just a coincidence?

My now departed friend, Bryan Spencer, appeared in the original cast for the Boston production. It was Hair that brought him to NYC, when he landed a role in the Broadway show a few years into its run.

I miss Bryan.

Steve Lewis said...

Yow. I must have know but not known that I know. You know? Now that you mention it, I walked by the theater Hair is playing in last week. I bet they had a big honkin banner up that said something like 40th Anniversary!

Didn't know that about Brian.