Sunday, July 12, 2009

Great Family Wine & Bottling Company

I've had the image on the left for quite a while - picked it up one day while browsing at Library of Congress, thinking I might use it on a wine label. This morning I was looking through files, saw it again, and focused for the first time on the address. Well, there must be a Union Street in every town. Or anyway, every town in the old industrial North. Still, I wondered: could it be Union Street in Brooklyn? My Union street?

Wella, wella, wella, plugged in '"Great Family Wine" & Bottling' to the goog, and where did it take me to but the fine library at Duke, where they have both the front and back of the card. Brought a tear to my eye. Been to the spot many a time. Happens, too, to be only a few doors from the childhood home of the mighty mighty Jimmy G., who cooks the world's best puttanesca for our yearly new-wine party (and where Jimmy G's own dad made his own home made wine.)

No comments: