Sunday, July 12, 2009

Push

I have a small push reel mower that I picked up a number of years back at Leopoldi's. I've stored out back in a shed of sorts that I cobbled together from fence sections - not water-tight, the door only sort-of closes, and it's a dirt floor. Not surprising, the mower's in poor shape, most especially the rollers, which have completely seized up so that any attempt to roll the mower backwards cause it to skid and buck up, and forward motion is balky at best. Bad, bad, bad.

So, yesterday I took it apart. With effort, vice grips, and judicious banging, I was able to remove the rollers and spacers (they're plastic). I filed all the rust and hard cake from the metal rod they mount on (there was plenty of it), cleaned everything, greased all the parts, and re-assembled. Woo-ey! That mower zips around like a demon now. Also cleaned up the reel and filed goo way from all the blades and the cutter bar. Can't wait for the grass to grow some more so I can give it a whirl. Even thinking of trying to adjust the cutter bar. Life is good here in the heart of the heart of the country.

1 comment:

juju pongo said...

me loves reel mowers!
got one o' my own. Tipping our hat off to ye for doing the right thing and fixing the old one steada buyine new one, or worse, buying power mower noisy, stinky, yucky machine...