Friday, August 8, 2008

a little about ebook physical feedback and a little about work

So, like I said, I'm plowing into Underworld, which is a mighty thick book, but I'm doing it on my Kindle and even though there are those little progress dots along the bottom of the screen, I don't have any real sense of where I am in the physical book, and somehow I really need to know. I feel a little fidgety not knowing. So I dug up a paperback copy and skimmed through and, ahhh, there I am, on page 110. A bazillion pages left to go. I feel better. Tap. Tap.

There's so much in Underworld about working. To whit:
I noticed how people played at being executives while actually holding executive positions. Did I do this myself? You maintain a shifting distance between yourself and your job. There's a self-conscious space, a sense of formal play that is a sort of arrested panic, and maybe you show it in a forced gesture or a ritual clearing of the throat. Something out of childhood whistles through this space, a sense of games and half-made selves, but it's not you that you're pretending to be someone else. You're pretending to be exactly who you are. That's the curious thing.
Do I do this myself?

No comments: