Saturday, August 9, 2008

Oh, my God, he won't shut up and now he's going to tell you who they've seen perform recently

Ghostland Observatory. Later that night I got drunk and made Lori promise that if I found out I only had one year to live, I would not have to see G.O. more than once in that year. Or maybe I didn't get drunk. But I definitely made her promise.

Richie Havens in the most idyllic setting under the trees in a Metrotech courtyard as the final show in this year's BAM Metrotech rhythm & blues series. Rode i.i. there at met L @ lunchtime. Told nice stories, some rooted in his growing up in nearby Bed Sty. Produced, as is the whole series, by friend Danny Kapilian. (Lots of RH on youtube. )

Lila Downs. Wow! Double-wow! Ten seconds into her show you are totally with her. Amazing to see someone so forceful, political, slipping in and out of contemporary and folks genres and never sensing a line between the two. Minimum Wage and La Cucaracha were standouts for me. En el norte vive Villa / En el sur vive Zapata... and the crowd roars. And, Cumbia de Mole.

No comments: