Friday, September 19, 2008

And it's root root root for the home team

Just home from a game at the Stadium (thank you, Bawk).  Three home games to go, and they blow it down.  On the way there we dove through 149th & Morris Avenue, where I spent just about every Sunday for the first 8 years of my life - Sunday dinner at Grandma & Grandpa's.  Feeling mellow, I told Bawk about my first game.  It was at the Polo Grounds, not the Stadium (though there were childhood games in the old stadium, too, pre refurbishment and sometimes in seats behind the girders under the upper decks.)  Anyway, I'd always remembered that first game as being the Cards against the mets in the Polo Grounds, something like 15 or 16 to 1, and Stan Musial hitting three home runs.  It all sounds so mythical that I sort of doubt it when I hear myself say it.  So, home, I decided to put the mythic memory to the test - and, lo and behold!

PS: Old friend filmmaker Lewis Klahr tells a beautiful story of moonlighting as a limo driver, back in the day, and picking up Willie Mays, and driving him by the old site of the Polo Grounds.  Brings a tear to the eye the way LK tells it.

No comments: