Friday, September 19, 2008

My short experiment with automatically generated ads

To the two or three of you who might have noticed - I experimented with having Google ads over in the right hand column.  I was very curious to see what ads would match the site's content.

Last week when I posted re acquaintance JM being killed on his bike when he was struck by a schoolbus, one of the ads that came up was from a law firm defending DUI drivers.  This morning there was an ad from an anti-Obama site promoting the elections of Republican candadates in local elections.

All fair and no complaints re AdSense, but not what I want.  Is it because the posts are sometimes ironic and not easily machine interpreted, or because bicycle safety groups are outbid by defendants' lawyers?  I dunno.  It's interesting, and I'll poke around, but won't be a participant.

No comments: