Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Dear Diary (condensed), I am better now

Finished 2666 and want to talk about it but only know one other person who's read it. Started Ed Cray's The Erotic Muse and laughed on almost every page, but set it aside for a little while after reaching the rabbi who performed circumcisions with his teeth. (Write me if you want to know the second half of that couplet.) Started Pynchon's Inherent Vice. Was sitting out back and damn if the same ultrafat robin isn't sitting again on the same branch of the crabapple. Wave of foreboding. Robins are supposed to be hopping on the ground, pulling worms from the grass, not sitting in trees. Everyone knows this, no? At lunch I sat on pier 11 watching the marine whirlybirds that brought the President to town. Was feeling kind of achy in my sides. Stare, read a little, Word Mole a little. Word Mole scores are plummeting - what gives? K9 cop puts his hand on my shoulder and tells me that when the POTUS returns I'll have to move to another bench - I'm at his dog's spot. Nice guy (really, no sarcasm). Achy achy. Back at work I'm told it is my 22nd anniversary there - my oh my, that's a whole other diary entry. R to 4th & 9th and decide to wait for the 75 to 7th to get mushrooms to go with dinner. (The bag of shiitake from the market a couple of weeks ago went bad - we had a couple of days of heavy rain and there were leaks again in the kitchen and I convinced myself that the sheetrock was mildewing or rotting and giving off a deadly smell that we would only be able to get rid of by ripping out the walls. I was so bummed by it I couldn't make myself discuss it with Lota. Then, thank God, I noticed the bag of mushrooms. Peeeyeeewwww!!) While waiting for the 75 P&K and the kids pass by in their car, stop at the light and P hassles me for taking the bus rather than walking. Lota is at a screening, I do up half the dinner, sit out back and feel a full blown fever coming on. Cold & hot & shaky. I decide to switch from water to rye & soda. The cat drags me indoors, fever breaks sometime in the middle of the night but not before I dream of a flock of big friggin' owls. Hoot mahn, scary! Big! One of them swivels it's head toward me and... Morning. I'm no a dead yet. Move the car and manage to park it on the block in a spot everyone else has passed by, exactly 6 inches longer than the mini itself. Hit me!. I check at the corner, just after 7:00, and Grumpy is open and I buy the beans I would have bought last night if I hadn't passed out. Hit me! I sit out back, and the robin is not there. Hit me! (I've got to assume the owls ate him.) I score 1,000 more on my first game of Word Mole than I'd gotten all day yesterday. Hit me!!! I write M @ work to let her know I'm taking the day. Pretty sure the heaven's are singing.

No comments: