Sunday, September 6, 2009

Reading Underground

Nice article in the NYTimes by Alexis Mainland, Reading Underground, about how & what people read on the subway. (Everything, every which way, of course.)

I just about always read on the subway when I'm riding solo, but lately I'd thwart the curiosity of Ms. Mainland or The Reader over at The Subway Book Club because I've been making paper covers for my books: mostly to keep them from getting too bunged up in my bag, but also just to be a little more private in public.


Here are a couple still in their homey sheaths. On the left, Perlstein's Nixonland, in a cover made from an old interoffice envelope, turned inside out. On the right, the separately bound The Part about Archimboldi from Bolaño's 2666, made from the cover of some unwanted circular stuffed in our mailbox.

No comments: